Wednesday, April 20, 2011

John Gets on His Anti-Smoking Soapbox (Don't worry; I don't do it often.)

(originally posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010

I don't like to spend a lot of time preaching at people, but I really hope someone somewhere can learn something from what has happened to my stepfather. When Carl first went into the hospital at the beginning of this summer, he was telling me that he'd actually given up smoking earlier this year (although it wasn't the first time he'd "quit"), but it seems it was too little, too late. With cancerous tumors throughout his body, Carl is giving a prime example of what a lifetime of smoking can do to you. (and I'd like to emphasize he was only in his early 60s, he might have had many good years ahead of him.)

If anyone I care about, or if the loved one of someone I care about, or even if someone I'll never know can learn something from Carl's mistakes, then it will not have been the tragic waste it appears to be on the surface.

If you're a smoker I know, this is me having my say; if you know a smoker, feel free to use Carl's story as a warning for them.

I'll get down from my soapbox now.

Added September 20. 2010: I wanted to give people an idea of the timeframe, so you'd know how quickly this can grab a hold of you and claim you:

  • In early May, you would have never guessed that Carl was sick.
  • One week ago, he was still capable of holding a conversation.
  • Two days ago, he was barely coherent in what little moments of wakefulness he had.
  • Yesterday morning, it was all over

Cancer can really act fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment